Tuesday, January 24, 2012

New piano

So, we bought a piano.

I found it on Craigslist and it was a really good deal.  It is a beautiful console Everett piano.  I was really lucky to find it like I did.  I contacted the seller the day she posted it, and if I hadn't, I'm sure it would have been gone.  Anyway, after going to see it, I had to have it.  There was no way I was letting Chuck move it, with the many back issues he has had, so we hired movers.  And let me tell you, it cost more to move that to purchase.

It arrived on Wednesday.  I don't think that Calah and I could have been more excited.  She loves Mimi and Papa's piano and has been asking for one for years.  And lately I have really wanted one, too.  I play.  Not spectacularly, but I can read music and play a bit.

When I was a kid I took lessons.  I started in 4th grade, and I remember liking it for quite a while. I really liked my first piano teacher.  She was just around the corner from my house and I also became friends with her daughter.  Then I had to change teachers.  After that I don't think I liked it as much.  I know that my parents definitely had to get after me to practice.  Once I got to high school, it was really down hill.  I think my senior year I had a lesson every other week and I refused to compete or perform.  That was a low point.

But, even in college I tried to find empty practice rooms in the music building every now and then.  My interest has increased in the last couple of years and I think of it as a nice stress relief to be able to sit down and play.  Especially if nobody is telling me I have to.  (This may surprise you, but I don't like being told what to do....I know....shocker).  Just having the choice and opportunity will be nice.

Calah really wants to learn.  So I have decided that I will teach her.  At least for a while.  Until we are ready to kill each other or she out does my skill level.  Then I will get her real lessons.  We actually sat down and came up with rules.  She has to listen to me as her teacher and not whine or complain, but I can't yell at her.  That seems fair.  We have had 2 lessons already and she is doing very well.  She practices without complaint and will practice multiple times a day.  We'll see how long that lasts!  But I am so glad that she likes it and is happy right now.  She is even excited that during next year's talent show, she will be able to play the piano for a talent.

So that is the story of the piano.  And Mom and Dad, all that money you spent on piano lessons for me was not wasted.  I may have complained (A LOT) then, but now I am really happy that I can play and share that gift with my children.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment