Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Frustrations in Education

So, when did people start to think that schools should be run like businesses?

This has bothered me for some time now, and today is as good a time as any to air these complaints.  And that is not to say that I am against school reform.  There are definitely things that could be changed.  But I pretty sure that schools should not be run like businesses.  And here is why.....

First of all, when businesses make products, they make sure that they are getting a quality raw material.  Sure, every now and then they have to make a lesser quality material work, but if their supplier isn't delivering the quality they need and want, they get a new supplier.  Schools do not choose their supplier.  All children in this country are entitled to an education, but all children do not come in the same.  Say what you will, but home life is going to be the biggest influence on a child's attitude and disposition.  If a student is read to at home from a young age, encouraged by their parents to do their best, and spends quality time with their parents, they are going to have a better attitude about school and will try harder to succeed.  If a student does not know whether or not their is going to be heat, food, or running water, or whether or not they are going to be physically, verbally, or sexually abused, or spend any quality time with their parents, or have been told that school is not important, they are most likely not going to value their education.  And not that I necessarily blame them.  If I didn't know where my next meal was coming from, homework would be that last thing on my mind, too.  So, students come to school with a large range of abilities and values regarding education.

Now, I consider myself to be a fairly effective teacher.  I use humor and analogies to explain complicated concepts.  I have a pretty good rapport with my students.  I am available before school, after school, and at lunch to help struggling students.  I try to organize my classes so they are not difficult to pass, but challenge students if they want an A.  I try a variety of techniques to incorporate different learning styles.  I use technology as well as traditional methods.  And still, I have students who just don't care.  Talking to them does nothing, encouraging does nothing, threatening does nothing.  Their grades are not any motivation at all.  I have students who are supposed to be on medication (whether it is for ADHD, depression, or some other disorder that I am not allowed to know about) and are not using the medication for a number of reasons.  And I am supposed to do what for that kid?  The parents can't afford or won't get the medicine, the kid is suffering and can't focus, and I cannot let this child fall behind.   On what planet does that make sense?

Second, business are always trying to cut overhead.  When a school funding gets cut, it is the supplies and staff that gets cut.  Supplies are essential to teaching.  There are the basics like paper, pencils, and staples that are consumable and must be replaced every year.  Text books and computers which are inevitably worn out and broken over time and must be replaced.  There are staff, teachers, secretaries, custodians, and para pros, which supervise and help kids succeed.  Even (and especially) that kid who is off his meds and having a hard time concentrating.  When staff is cut, the student to adult ratio is higher.  So while we have to spend time with the one kid who needs the special help, we have 30-35 others who also need instruction and supervision.  Class sizes are larger.  There may be teachers out there who are able to engage all of their 40 students all of the time, but I am willing to bet that they are not the norm.

It seems obvious to me that man power is always going to be the biggest expense of any organization.  Education is no exception.  Except in education, the employees are not producing a static product, they are working with the greatest gift any parent has ever been given.  We are expected to produce productive members of society in the short time we see them.  And we are supposed to do that despite the baggage they come in with or the fact that we over 30 of these wonderful,  baggaged gifts in each class.

I love my job, please do not think otherwise.  The joy that comes from watching students succeed cannot be measured or compared to anything else.  I can't imagine getting that kind of satisfaction from any other job.  It is wonderful...when politicians and well meaning members of the community let us do our jobs.

It is really difficult to educate when we have so much red tape and ridiculous requirements.  See, educators went to school.  We got degrees in education.  And we continue to take classes and learn new things at inservices.  We took classes in child development and psychology, pedagogy, and special needs learners.  In addition to our subject area.  We took tests that deem us highly qualified to teach.

So I guess my saying all of this is just a plea to all well meaning community members and parents.  Please trust us to do our jobs.  We really do have the best interest of your kids at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment