Thursday, January 9, 2014

Finally Back to Work

The longest winter break ever has finally ended.  Everyone finally went back to school today.  It was bittersweet.  I know that lots of parents were ready for their kids to go back, but I loved being home with my family.  We had a great break.  We had some wonderful quality family time.  A few holiday gatherings, a few family outings, and some great family discussions.  It was just great.

But like all good things, it must at some point come to an end.  I think the kids were ultimately happy to get back to their routines.  And I guess, on some level, so am I.  When we are always going, it is hard to realize how great we have it.  But having some down time really puts our lives in perspective.  We are busy people with busy lives.  All four of us are consistently busy.  But we are lucky to be that way.  Chuck and I are lucky to be employed in the field we chose.  And although our jobs are demanding and we leave early and work late, we are employed.  We like our jobs and we are lucky to be able to have a nice long winter break and still know we are going back to a stable, reasonably secure jobs.  The kids have activities that have us running almost nightly.  But they are activities that they have chosen, they enjoy, and we are fortunate enough to be able to put them in.  It is great to see Calah and Gabe grow and develop.  And if that weren't enough (and it is enough, how could it not be enough), Chuck and I are fortunate to be able pursue our own hobbies and passions.  And yet, I feel like sometimes we are so busy, we are so overwhelmed, that we don't realize how lucky we really are. 

So I appreciated the long break.  I appreciated the chance to reflect on how fortunate my family is.  And I appreciate the chance to get back to the routine and experience all the good things that await us this new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment