Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Worst End of School Year Mom Ever to Best Summer Mom Ever

If you haven't read Jen Hatmaker's post "Worst End of the School Year Mom Ever", do yourself a favor and read it now.  Jen's Post

Done, good.  Do you still have dry pants?  Amazing, because I practically peed myself.  This is totally me.  I feel like I am being dragged, half dead, across the end of the school year line.  Maybe it's being a teacher, too.  I don't know, but I am sooooooo done.  And that is literally the case, I finished school yesterday.  The kids and Chuck have until the end of the week, but that is of little consolation.  Today I am just as as exhausted as I have been all year and it is my first day of break.  But Calah needed a yellow shirt that we don't have, veggies were needed at school for an all school lunch, 2 field days, camp forms to be dropped off, and oh, laundry has piled up to the point that nobody has clean underwear.  And I am seriously tempted to tell them to just turn them inside out.  Not to mention I haven't even thought of teacher gifts, crap.  Oh, and there is a birthday party for my little guy at our house on Saturday that I have yet to plan. But we will make it.  Beaten down by the year, bloodied knees crawling across the finish line, but we will make it.

And once that is done, I am turning over a new leaf.  I plan to be "The Best Summer Mom Ever".  I have plans of camps, playdates, library program events, dinners outside, picnics, the beach, and vacations.  Oh, and Pinterest.  I have pinned so many fun things, we are GOING to do them.  We will be making our own bubbles, creating obstacle courses, cooking kid friendly food, making sidewalk chalk, and other fabulously fun pins.

Isn't that the great thing about summer?  Even when we are dragging across the finish line of the school year, we can be energized and ready to take on the summer.  I love the number of times during the year I can start fresh, because so often I fall short of my goals.  But I get to start fresh in August/September, January, sometimes even April after spring break, and of course, June.  I usually have great and wonderful plans that last a few weeks and then I fall short.  In my defense, this year school lunches and bag packing, and laying out clothes, and getting laundry done on a regular basis did last a long time.  But I am tired of being responsible mom.  Get your homework done mom.  Sort the laundry, make you bed, clean up your room mom.  It's time to throw some fun mom in the mix.

So starting Monday, we have basketball camps, dance classes and recital to finish, and we are starting those pins.  Maybe a watermelon seed spitting contest.  Or go for a hike in the state park.  Or go fishing, or a bike ride, a trip to the park.  And we will keep doing those fun things.  At least for a few weeks, until I fall short of my plan and fail.  But at least in September I can turn over a new leaf and be a super mom again!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the other post! I literally did almost pee myself! And boy do I hear ya on the rest. I believe I have carefully planned for all 3 of the kids to go to camp for a full week at the end of July/beginning of August for that specific purpose of refreshing and starting over again when I start to fail. And now to check out pinterest...and get some plans going for the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete